Recent Posts

Monday, July 23, 2007

Feet up; backside down

I stayed in line Friday night -- yes, I do have that nerd gene pretty full formed -- and got my copy of the new Harry Potter. Received it about 2:00 a.m. I then made the executive decision that I wasn't going to do much of anything over the weekend.

A goal I brilliantly and (almost) fully accomplished.

I did spend maybe 15 minutes weeding; and I accidentally cooked supper one night...but otherwise, I simply relished the gorgeous weather and read (most of) "Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows".

You know, I started reading the series because my son Michael had developed an interest, and I wanted to be able to talk it over with him. And, while I liked the first three books, I wouldn't have continued with them had it not been for Michael.

Somewhere around book 4, though, it started to get genuinely interesting. The new-found complexity in all the characters and the growing darkness appealed to me. I still think Rowling is not so very good at writing relationships, but she's wonderful at creating a fully-formed and completely consistent world....and she generates the best names since Dickens. Now, I'm the first to read, and the rest of the family can read it at their leisure. I'm enjoying them just for me.

So. I'm about 500 pages into the 750ish pages of it, and I've managed (so far) to avoid finding out anything about the ending. I figure I'll finish the book by mid-week at the worst. In the meantime, I'm trying to avoid any place or conversation that might contain intentional or unintentional spoilers.

1 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger Elaine Denning said...

Don't talk to me about it then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home