Recent Posts

Monday, July 23, 2007

Stuff and nonsense

So. The stupid Christmas show closed. One of my theatre friends came to see it, and she assured me it wasn't the worst show she had ever seen. When pressed, she admitted that she had once been forced to watch a follies put on by some PTA dads, and that show had set the bar for "worst show ever"....and according to her, that show had set the bar pretty high.

On the other hand, she did also admit that my show was second-worst, and that it wasn't that far off the pace. It's good, one would suppose, to be memorable......

But, like all things, one can always learn from any commitment. I had never played a role like this before, and I learned a lot about sustaining this particular character....and I also had fun learning exactly when to slot fully into the audience's expectations for the role, and when to surprise them.

So. Am I glad I did it? Well, no, not in the big "cost/reward" picture....but it wasn't a total waste, either.

Plus: I learned early on that the single most consistent trait this director had was to -- efficiently and ubiquitously -- waste my time at rehearsal. So, since I'm in the process of writing an adaptation (with several original compositions) of "A Child's Christmas in Wales" for production in December, I used that time to get a lot done on that show.

I'll blog more on that show soon -- it's becoming a very interesting process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home