Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Focusing

Still focusing on organizing and remodeling the house....the initial goal is to get the basement uncrapped, so that the ping-pong table can go down there before the Super Bowl (which is February 2nd (I think)). In addition to moving the ping-pong table, I want to get the ceiling and walls of our family room re-painted and faux textured. I think it's too ambitious to try to build the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves before the Super Bowl, but I can get the room done except for that, I think. I also want to put up some kind of decent lighting down in the basement, so that we can actually play ping-pong without wearing miner's headlamps. Miner's headlamps are such a fashion faux pas.

Towards the goal of clearing the basement, I put in a decent night of working there last night. Man oh man, but there's a lot of crap down there. I took out a ton of stuff for today's garbage collection -- the tree lawn is covered in crap -- and yet the basement looks barely touched.

Ah, well -- when you take years and years and years to accumulate unorganized crap in a space, you can't expect to get it cleared and organized overnight. The key for me, though, is to force myself to keep working on it. Every day. 's not gonna get done unless I do.

One of the advantages of the insane task schedule I gave myself last year is that I learned how to make myself focus on tasking every single day....and this is easier than that was, because at least these tasks are for me.

This year, besides repainting et al the back room, I also want to build floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in it. I also want to build a new counter top for the kitchen, replace the sink and faucet (and basically just replumb it), and put tile up on the walls. I'll probably also wallpaper the kitchen.

After those rooms are done, I will get after finishing that basement. I have some cool ideas for finishing it -- I can't wait to get to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home