Recent Posts

Friday, March 03, 2006

Da Noive

A week from Sunday, I audition for the lead role in "Man of La Mancha". It's a part I've wanted to play all my life....now that I'm finally old enough, I may not have the voice for it anymore. Life sure is ironic, ain't it? By "is ironic", of course, I mean "sucks".

Actually, my voice is not what it once was, but it might -- maybe who knows crossin' my fingers -- be capable of delivering the part. I know I can hit the notes; and I know I've got the vocal intensity it needs...but I'm worried that the voice might not hold up under weeks of rehearsal and performance....but, really, the only way to know that I can do it is to give it a shot.

So shot-givin' I'm gonna do. And yes, I'm nervous.

I've figured out my audition piece, I think. I'm (probably) going to use "Who Can I Turn To" from "The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd". It's a beautiful song, it's in my range, and it's not all that commonly done (which eliminates the fear of the director comparing me with a multitude of other performers). The dark horse audition pieces are "This Nearly Was Mine" from "South Pacific", and "If I Can't Love Her" from "Beauty and the Beast". The common threads of these songs are that they have a lot of vocal and emotional power -- and they're in my range.

If I don't get this part, I won't be exactly devastated, but I will be monumentally disappointed. If I can't land the role I've always wanted from my own home theatre.....well, to be honest, I expect to get it. So there.

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

I'll be routing for you, Ted! I know you have been working hard with your voice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home