Recent Posts

Friday, July 27, 2007

And on it goes....

The job search, she go up and she go down. She get you excited, she drop you like a hot spliff.

Er sump'n.

I've got three jobs on the line right now, and the same basic processes seem to roil through every potential employer....namely, they make you take time off your job, make you come in and interview with them, and then somehow manage to forget you're alive. I interviewed for one position a week ago yesterday, and have yet to hear any response at all. Not so very bad....not so very good, either. A week should be enough time to decide if you want to see me again for a second round of interviews.

I interviewed over two weeks ago, too, for a different job. I took a whole day of vacation, drove to Toledo (a full 2.5 hour drive), interviewed at length. I felt it went very well, although I guess I've proven myself lately to be a lousy judge of that . Still.....I'm sure I didn't do anything to monumentally hurt my chances.

Yet, after 17 days, not one word. Not "come back in", not "please forget we exist", nothing. I have NO problem with not getting a job for which I interview. That's the way it works -- by definition, one gets hired and several get turned down. But. BUT! If you take my time, make me come in and personally interview (in the case of the Toledo job, the interview was a full 4 hours or so), you owe me a response. Even a simple eMail telling me you'll not be offering me the position is fine.

Because I came in personally doesn't mean you owe me the job. But I am owed something, and almost none of these guys seem to get it. Pisses me off tremendously. I don't mind the process taking a good bit of time, either. In both of those cases, I interviewed for a senior level board position -- in one case, I interviewed for a Vice Presidency....and that level of position typically takes a long time and a lot of interviews to settle on one candidate. I get that, and it's cool with me. Just let me know what's going on, for God's sake.

I have yet another one next Thursday morning. This company, at least, has been excellent (so far) and keeping me in the loop as to what's going on. Because of that alone, I've decided that if they make me an offer, I'm going to accept it and the hell with these other guys.

1 Comments:

At 4:21 AM, Blogger Elaine Denning said...

Ted, I feel your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home