Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Resolved

Well, last year I made some resolutions. I don't always (or even often) make 'em, but last year I gave myself a few. I have prided myself, in the past, on fulfilling my resolutions when I do make 'em.

That said, last year was a bad year for 'em. I said I would give up coffee -- but I didn't. I did cut down quite a bit, which counts for something, but basically, that resolution was a failure.

I also said I would finish my novel. Up until hitting the insanity of my fall schedule, I did work on it almost every day. The novel is done, but it need serious re-write, and I'm about halfway through it in re-write. From about September on, though, I didn't touch it. So, that resolution was a failure.

The third resolution I gave myself was to hike the entire Cleveland Metroparks System. That one I accomplished....so at least I didn't utterly fail.

I also, like most the free world, resolved to lose weight.....failed.

So. This year, I'm only making one "resolution", although I still hope to accomplish most of the things I resolved earlier. The one resolution for this year is to say "no" a lot -- a lot -- more. I'm going to stop doing many of the things I'm currently doing, too. That's gonna be hard. It's one thing to say "no" to new tasks that people ask you to do --it's quite another to say you're going to stop doing the things to which you're already committed...but I'm gonna. I have to. I'm going to give up at least two things I do for the boy scouts; at least two things I do for the theatre, at least two things I do for the church...and I'm not going to replace them with new things.

Thus resolved: this year is (at least partly) for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home