Recent Posts

Monday, November 28, 2005

The Rest of the Story

Other than (over)eating, I spend most of the weekend finishing up some of the many tasks with which I am still burdened (and yes, I do feel like an ox (which seems only right after eating like one all weekend)).

The videos I'm making are complete except for adding music -- which is not trivial, but not that bad. It won't take more than about 10 minutes per video to add the music (which still adds up, over 7 videos). Still, they're close to done (and due next weekend, so I did okay, timing-wise).

The theatre set is done -- looks really good, too. I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow. It's not monumentally clever or artistic, but it (in my opinion) works exceptionally well. It not only sets the scene, but it reveals much about the main character before the play even begins: it shows a fishing lodge that is in semi-disrepair -- but not for lack of caring by the owner. She's done the best she can with limited resources, and (I hope) the set looks just like that.

I'm still working on the theatre program. People don't realize just how long it takes to put that thing together....especially when patrons provide me with ads that are basically unuseable. Actually, I could just scan 'em and use 'em as is -- a lot (most, really) of theatre (and other) programs do just that. But I just can't publish ads that look like crap...which means I spend a lot of time re-creating the ads for them, so that they'll look good. It's coming out nice, though. I took pictures of each cast member, and I'm putting their picture next to their bio in the program. It's a nice touch, I think, and it looks good. I also did some research into the history of the play itself and the playwright, which gives an interesting background to the show.

I still need to put together sounds for the show (how do all these things come down on me to do?), but that won't be hard. The show opens on Friday night, so this week will be a little hectic, but really, the tech work is done.

I do have to say: I'm pretty proud of the work we do at this theatre. Yes, we are a bunch of amateurs, and I'm not so Waiting-For-Guffmanish as to think we compete with The Cleveland Play House....but we really do build nice sets, and put together nice programs, and try to handle all the details that make the difference between a theatre experience that feels like a bunch of amateurs and one that feels professional (and worth the price of admission).

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Ted: I can't believe how much you have on your plate. The theatre itself is a full time job. I have dabbled a bit in theatre and know how much work it is to get a show up and running (it turns out, I'm better at being in an improv group and dabbling in stand up. I'm too lazy to audition and the commitment can be rigorous for theatre--but I love, love, love going!). Glad that we get to see the fruits of all your hard work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home