Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My First Review

I submitted my first feature under my new heading as "Theatre Reviewer" for the local rag. I thought it was pretty good, all in all.

I was afraid it might be a bit too long, but when I first met with the editor, I asked her -- twice! -- how long the reviews could/should be. She was evasive, and simply told me to make them "as long as they needed to be". So, given the size of the cast and the unusual structure of this show, I sent her almost 1100 words.

She then tells me today that it is WAY too long, and that it may not make the edition. She probably needs roughly 600 words, tops. Sheesh -- mighta been nice to know that up front. I looked at one of her previous reviews, and it's probably 1500 words or more.

I re-edited it to exactly 600 words and sent it, but I don't know if it's too late.

Ah, well, live and learn. I just hope I didn't tick her off or look like a fool.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

I know you werent a fool. I bet you were the best reviewer they ever had and they are they fools if they don't put your review in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home